From Workplace Pain to Purpose
Last time, I told you who I am today. Now, let me
take you back to where it all started.
Before I became self-employed, I worked in a place
I will not name for now, and I will also keep my job title private. What I will
say is this: I have always loved working with people and helping them achieve
their goals. I truly believe everyone has the right to become who they want to
be and to live a happy, fulfilling life.
I got on well with everyone, or at least I thought
I did. I followed the rules. I did what was expected of me. But there was one
thing I did not know: the rules for Black people were different from the rules
for White people.
That shocked me. The treatment I experienced as a
Black woman in the UK was completely different from being a Black woman in the
Caribbean. To sum it up in a few words, the way I was treated was very mean. I
know some readers may want me to go into more detail, but I believe that
conversation is better had in a setting where people can ask questions, and I
can answer as openly as possible. One day, I will do just that.
What I knew then, and what I know even more
strongly now, is that I deserved better. I could not build my future in a place
where I was not valued. So, I left.
At the same time, I had noticed how often people
complained of back, knee, and joint pain, muscular aches, and general
discomfort. I wanted to help. That desire led me to study and become a
self-employed sports massage therapist.
Was I scared? Absolutely. I was nervous too. Every
doubt you can think of came flooding in: What if I am not good enough? What if
I fail? What happens if I become ill? How will I get paid? What about holiday
pay? What about tax? And that was only the beginning of the list.
But guess what? I did it anyway. I told myself, “If
it does not work, at least I will have gained the knowledge of how to set up a
business.”
Whenever I have to make a tough decision, I run
myself a hot bath, light a candle, lie back, close my eyes, pray, and then
pause to think. That is where I asked myself: What should be the first step,
and what should be the last step, in getting my sports massage business started?
Then the ideas started flowing. I rushed out of the
bath, grabbed a book and a pen, and began writing my business plan. I wrote
down everything, from the business name, Rehab Unknot Remedial and Sport
Massage Therapist, which later became Therapist to Specialist, to
how I would find my first client.
From then on, whenever I had another tough decision
to make, I made sure my planning book and pencil were right next to the bath.
Soon, I had given birth to my business, and my first client was booked.
Leading up to that appointment, I was extremely
nervous, and the doubts returned. Thoughts rushed in, trying hard to stop me
from doing the fantastic job I knew I could do.
Then the day arrived. I met my client and greeted
him with the biggest smile. I was honest and told him he was my very first
client. I also let him know that I welcomed any constructive feedback he had.
In that moment, I realised something about myself:
when nervousness tries to take over, I put on a big, bright smile. And that
smile became even bigger because I genuinely loved the work.
At the end of the treatment, the client gave me
thoughtful feedback. During the first month of business, clients began calling
me “magic hands” and “healing hands.” I honestly did not know what to do with
compliments like that. My reply was always, “Really? I just enjoy what I do.”
That business became my whole world for 20 years, along with being a mother.
Over those years, my body was trying to communicate with me. It was telling me to rest, to take breaks, and to look after myself better.
But I did not listen. My stubbornness allowed past traumas from
physical abuse and grief to show up in my body.
This was something I hid from everyone. I hid the
pain behind my big smile and overworked to avoid thinking about
it. I believe that at the time, if I became super busy, I would not have time
to think about past or present hurt.
I did not get the right help at the right time.
Instead, I created a coping mechanism: work harder, stay busy, keep smiling,
and do not stop long enough to feel the hurt.
That was a very bad idea.
See Part 2 to find out why.
Your new blogger,
Keon
No comments:
Post a Comment